Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sewing Projects: Pillowcase dress

All of thissewing going on prompted Summer to want to learn to sew. After my next prenatal I headed back to the fabric store. I had seen a friends little girl wearing a pillowcase dress and had seen them on etsy. I thought this would be easy. I looked through pattern books and found the easy sew section in simplicity. These were only 2.99. I got one for the pillowcase dress and another that had dresses with short sleeves and a purse. It really was very simple. Summer sewed the front to the back with the machine and used a basting stitch on the contrast band before I attached it.  I could've gotten by without the pattern but if I hadn't I wouldn't have known to get bias tape for the armpits. This was the only semi hard part. And of course my inferior sewing machine kept messing up making it frustrating. I ended up doing the second one by hand and it turned out better! I gave the machine one last shot on the neck casing and then gave up on it and finished the bottom by hand. Of course machine sewing with a good machine would be faster, but I actually ended up enjoying the hand stitching. I could curl up comfortably on the couch. It was quite therapeutic. Scott gave me the green light to buy a new machine but I think I'll pass.



2 comments:

  1. Very cute! I love to hand embroider because it is so calming. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bought all of the supplies for me and Summer to learn hand embroidery and have watched a ton of tutorials. I've just need to wrap up one more project before we get to that! I'm trying to contro my ADD! Lol

    ReplyDelete