Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2013 (Part 4- Attire)

As Summer has gotten older... and so have I... I have found myself being a bit more modest. This actually started the summer of 2011... I bought us some tankini's with skirts. I also started watching the length of my shorts. I knew that I didn't want my girls walking around wearing revealing clothes and the best way to teach is to model. Plus Summer LOVES the Duggars and they are GREAT role models.

In 2012 Summer wanted to get one piece bathing suits, and board shorts and rash guard tops to swim in. I went ahead and got some for myself as well. I really grown uncomfortable with the amount of cleavage my tankini's showed anyways. Especially since I now have a teenage boy in the house with teenage friends.

This past summer I didn't even wear shorts, and I have quit wearing skirts that come above the knee. In the fall Summer took a writing class at one of our homeschool co-op's. She decided to write one of her paper's about modesty. It was so neat to see her research and come up with her own reasoning for something she has grown to feel so strongly about. She then told ME that she thought that we should start only wearing skirts to be more modest and honor God in the way that we dress. Of course I agreed and have packed away all of my jeans. It has been such as blessing to go through this transformation with my daughter as she begins to enter womanhood. I thank God for her(and all of my children) every day. Here are her words:

I’m Bringing Modesty Back

by Summer

    Unlike the song “I’m Bringing Sexy Back,” we need to bring modesty back. God likes modesty, and it’s time we put it in action again. We girls need to not be a stumbling block for the weak. It’s also time to respect ourselves. That is why women should dress modestly.
    Showing inner beauty to God instead of showing outer beauty to the world is modesty. 1 Peter 3:3-4 says, “Do not let your adorning be external- the braiding of the hair putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear, but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious.” Many more verses mention modesty so God is fond of it.
    The bible also says, “Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak.” That means don’t dress provocatively, causing men to sin against God through lust. Being modest removes that obstacle.
    To be respected and to respect, you first have to respect yourself. To respect yourself, is to love yourself, for how you are on the inside not the outside. It’s okay to look nice, and to take care of yourself, but it’s not necessary to wear clothes that are revealing. The attention you get should be your character not your clothing. Modesty is away to respect yourself. I want my future husband to respect me by focusing on my character not my body.
    The motto we should live by is God first, others second, and self last. All these things are accomplished by dressing modestly. You’re honoring God, considering others, and respecting yourself. Dressing modestly is one way to do those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment